So your comfortable zone is feeling a little boring and that warm, fuzzy blanket isn't quite as satisfying as it once was? Sounds like you are gearing up to take action and pour some awesome sauce into your life again! First let me congratulate you on taking that first step in recognizing that you hold the pen to your life's story and you have the power to write the story anyway you like. Now the next step is to jump into action, challenge your fears and get comfortable with being uncomfortable. Here are a few keys to set yourself up for success and be prepared for the opportunities ahead:
1) Start with baby steps to build confidence and grow into the newness. These first smaller steps may seem insignificant if you have a big, audacious goal but hang in there! If you build a house by first slapping up walls and forgetting the foundation, you might have a house sooner but how long will it last? The confidence you gain from the baby steps will give you the courage to keep going later when you are taking bigger, juicier leaps. It won't always be smooth sailing and when the going gets tough you'll be less likely to throw in the towel if you have a few wins under your belt. Set yourself up for success with the smaller tasks and keep taking larger steps as your journey progresses.
2) Get out of your own way. The ego's job is to keep us safe and protect us. Often we can be our own worst enemy. One minute we come up with a brilliant idea and the next thing we know we have come up with five solid reasons we can't possibly do it. That is the ego talking. That rowdy roommate who lives in our head will have us believing crazy thoughts if we allow the voice to have its way. Don't second guess yourself. Maybe your big plan needs tweaking or maybe you simply need to refer back to #1.
3) You aren't the only one who can stand between where you are and where you want to go. Your friends and family love you dearly but also want to protect you and themselves. They can and will attempt to talk you out of anything that is going to make them uncomfortable and leave them behind. Sometimes one of the most uncomfortable things you have to do is step away from the loving naysayers and seek out support and advice from new people who can help you. Don't take advice from anyone who hasn't achieved what you are going after. If you desire to backpack around the world and your best friend has only ever taken a handful of resort vacations is she going to be your go-to person for advice? Likely she will try to tell you how much better the all-inclusives are and how scary the streets are outside the resort and the water........you get my point.
4) Don't compare your beginning to someone else's middle. The easiest way to talk ourselves out of even starting something is comparison. Plain and simple, it is the thief of joy. Telling ourselves that there is no point in even going after our dreams because someone else is so much better than we will ever be will have you walking away before you even try. What you may not realize is that their journey began long before yours and they struggled and went through all of the blood, sweat, tears and laughter that you might be experiencing. These are exactly the people you want to reach out to as mentioned in #3. Don't let them be the reason you stopped. Let them be the inspiration that keeps you going.
5) Reframe your perceived risks. Really it all comes down to one thing. Fear. We fear failing, embarrassment, reputation, finances, etc. What if rather then focusing on what could possibly go wrong you choose to focus on all the ways that things could go amazingly awesome?! Sure, maybe the online course you have been wanting to take costs $1000 but what if you could take what you learn and turn it into something you love that provides some extra monthly income for the longer term? What if being turned down for a promotion or raise gives you the push to seek out a completely different opportunity that you absolutely love? What if moving to a new community introduces you to new friends and activities that you didn't have in your old place? Stay focused on all of the things that can go right and you'll be amazed at the outcomes.
You have the ability to make your wildest dreams come true but it all has to start with some sort of action. Getting out of your comfort zone is the action that helps the universe put everything you will need in your path. Most of all, have fun with it! The more you practice getting out of your comfort zone, the easier it will get. The easier it gets, the bigger steps you will start to take. Before you know it you will be looking back and laughing about how challenging it seemed in the beginning but how much easier it was than you thought.
Cheers to getting comfortable with being uncomfortable and living an amazing life! xoxo
My next 7-Day Comfort Zone Challenge group starts on April 25! Join us for a fun Facebook group that will support and challenge you to do something uncomfortable each day for seven days! It's the perfect way to get a jump start on a new season and new goals! Contact me here or DM me on Instagram if you have questions. To register, click the Products tab above!